· The League Fee for the 2014 season is set with an incentive for returning teams. All returning teams who pay by March 7th will maintain the fee of $1525 from the 2013 Season. All new teams will pay $1550. After March 7th, the fee will be $1575 for all teams.
· The league is named the Kevin McAuliffe City Softball League after Kevin McAuliffe who started the league and served as its Commissioner until his passing in 2000. Original teams in the league referred to the league as the City Politics League and later as the City Softball League.
· The majority of the games are regularly scheduled on Monday through Thursday nights. Rainouts and special circumstances will result in some games taking place on Fridays.
the regular season, game time varies by location. Normally, the game time is 6:15 in
majority of the games are played at Commodore Barry Park in Brooklyn (right
near the old Navy Yard, just over the Brooklyn and
· Rosters consist of up to 25 players. Up to 5 members on a roster may be “non-company” players, i.e. outsiders. All non-company players must be declared on your roster. Teams must submit a roster by end of May. The initial roster will be used until early July, when changes may be made for a team’s final roster and be used for the rest of the season.
· Teams must have a team color. Whether uniforms are used or not, the players on a team need to wear something consistent with each other. Each team and its players must adhere to wearing their team color during the season. The team uniform color must be submitted with the initial roster.
· At the end of the playoffs, the two finalists meet in a best two out of three series called The Kevin McAuliffe City Softball Series.
· The league is co-ed. There must be women – at least one, preferably more – both on the field and in a team’s lineup at all times. A woman must bat at least every 12th batter. Twelve is the maximum size a batting order may be for each team.
· The league uses “modified pitch” – no speed limits per se, but certain motions (such as the arc, the slingshot and the windmill) are prohibited.
· An F-12 Clincher softball, bases, catcher’s mask, bats, and a home plate must be brought to every game. If a team does not bring these materials, it is automatically the visiting team. Otherwise, a home-and-away is decided by a coin toss at the start of the regular-season game. During the Playoffs, the higher seed is the home team.
· Professional umpires are used for all league games. The Amateur Softball Association certifies all umpires. The umpires are paid out of league fees.
· Lineup cards are used for each game. Two lineup cards should be filled out for each game with one copy given to the umpire and one copy to given to the other team captain.
· The winning team is required to inform the Commissioner after each game of the winner, home team, and a brief description so the Commissioner may remain up-to-date of league happenings and knowledgeable for the end of the season awards. In 2001, the league was on the Internet for the first time. The league’s site is currently being updated and will be constantly updated during the season.
· All disputes should be raised to the Commissioner in writing. The Commissioner has final authority over all decisions. Decisions made by the Commissioner are irrevocable.
· League Rules for the Season
· Complete Season Schedule
· Copies of Parks Department permits for all City Fields where games are played
· Directions to all fields
An annual Captains Meeting takes place in early to mid-March each season.
There is also a Captain’s Guide posted on the League site which serves as an easy reference for new captain’s and teams looking to join the league.
of the Year Event
There are numerous awards handed at the end of the year event. Awards are distributed for teams and individual achievements. Team captains are expected to provide a head count before the event.
yearly award that is named after Mr. Kevin McAuliffe, former Commissioner of
The City Softball League, who passed away in August 2000. The award will remain a challenge competition
awarded to the winning team of the Playoffs. In addition, a contribution will
be made in memory of Kevin in the name of the winning team to CROI – The West
of Ireland Cardiology Foundation.
McAuliffe had a long career in
League Championship Trophy
· The League Championship Trophy is awarded to each playoff winning team of the respective division
· The League Runner Up Trophy is awarded to each playoff runner up team of the respective division
Regular Season Winner
· The League Regular Season Trophy is awarded to each regular season winning team of the respective division
· The Tournament MVP is awarded to the Playoff MVP for each respective division. Each division’s playoff team captain provides input for this award.
Player of the Year Trophy
· The Player of the Year Trophy is awarded to the Regular Season MVP for each respective division. Each division’s team captain provides input for this award.
· The Sportsmanship Trophy is awarded to the player from each division who exudes a positive nature to their teammates and those around them.
· In lieu of individual trophies, effective as of the 2008 Season, the champion of the Playoffs will receive a $500 team award.
· In lieu of individual trophies, effective as of the 2008 Season, the runner up of the Playoffs will receive a $250 team award.